THE EUROPEAN UPCONVERSION NETWORK
From the Design of Photon-Upconverting Nanomaterials to Biomedical Applications : COST CM1403
Defining the requirements and providing safety guidelines by assessing the nanotoxicity of UCNMs
The major objectives for the Toxicity of UCNPs working group are the following :
Evaluation of the UCNM interaction with cells
• Life-cell imaging (3–7 days) for the evaluation of UCNM’s uptake, cell division and cell death.
• Comparison with currently used commercial labels for long-term monitoring of cell such as quantum dots.
• Evaluation of the cytotoxic and genotoxic potential of UCNMs on relevant cell types, both after short term (24h) and long term (4 weeks) exposure.
• Biosafety of UCNMs will be evaluated by analysis of experimental cytotoxicity data. Available information will be integrated for an effective risk assessment.
• Well characterized highly photoluminescent efficient UCNMs will be used as standards for the biocompatibility evaluations.
The working group achievements :
WG5 Workshop-Training Workshop on Cytotoxicity, 19-22 October 2015, Graz, Austria.
Projects-National Funded project (FCT)
Dr. Helena Oliveira
Department of Biology, CESAM (Centre for Environmental and Marine Studies) & CICECO (Aveiro Institute of Materials)
University of Aveiro
3810-193 Aveiro, Portugal
Phone : +351 234 247186
Email : email@example.com
Dr. Federico Herrera
Cell Structure and Dynamics Laboratory
Instituto de Tecnologia Química e Biológica (ITQB-UNL)
Av. da República, Estação Agronómica Nacional
2781-901 Oeiras, Portugal
Phone: +(351) 21 446 9300
Chair: dr Hans Gorris (University of Regensburg, Germany)
Vice-Chair: prof.Tero Soukka (University of Turku, Finland)
COST Science Officer: Dr. Lucia Forzi (Bruseels, Belgium)
STSMs Manager: dr hab. Artur Bednarkiewicz (PAS & WCB EIT+, Poland)
web page : Artur Bednarkiewicz Copyright © 2016 All Rights Reserved